Sunday, January 29, 2012

BuRnt RasPbeRRy Rice...

Today I re-learned the importance of reading directions and following them to a T. I also discovered the dangers of multitasking when given the first mistake. Inspired by Sunny Days in Second Grade's word finder shakers - I had brainstormed several themes and categories that I could use with my students and wanted to make it a weekly activity during their daily literacy centers.

So...I got the necessary materials [
see the Unplug Your Kids tutorial here] and made my first batch of colored rice last night.




Batch #1 - using Neon Blue, Green and Purple...

I quickly learned that: A) this was WAY easy and fun... and B) I needed more rice! I decided to whip up a new batch today (with double the amount of rice). Here's where it quickly went downhill - the directions say to put the rice in the oven at 200 degrees to burn off the alcohol and dry the food coloring. Well, we already had our pot roast i the oven and not one to waste any time, I decided to put the rice in anyways (at 350 degrees). For all you science nerds and/or pyromaniacs...I'm sure you can guess what happened next.

The victims of my mistake...burnt raspberry rice...

KABOOM! The higher temperature + increased alcohol content due to more rice = enough force and pressure to blow the oven door wide open, slamming it down and scaring everyone in the kitchen.

Unfortunately, I did not witness this event [further multitasking -- I was holed up in the basement laundry room putting in another load]. However, my husband was able to provide me with an award-winning dramatic reenactment triggering flashbacks to 'Rescue 911' starring William Shatner. Oh, how I miss that show. But - I digress.

Lesson to Self: ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS read the directions carefully and FOLLOW THEM.

Lesson to Teacher Self: Incorporate this into Jumanji-Zathura discussion and the importance of following directions. Compare the cause-effect relationship of the children who did follow the instructions versus that of those who didn't.

Batch #2 - an even sweeter shade of purple...and turquoise


Batch #2 - Raspberry! minus the burn victims...

1 comment:

  1. I love it, i made pink for Valentines day and think I will make green for St. Patrick's day, mine is going in the sensory table for Kindergartners so I am changing the colors up a bit! Nice to know what will happen if I don't follow the directions :)
    Amy

    ReplyDelete