Friday, January 27, 2012

All things Allsburg...

This week I began a Chris Van Allsburg author study with my class. I recently discovered that the 5th grade highlights him as an author within their study of the science fiction genre. [Being a long-term sub + having just moved back to this state + no provided hands-on curriculum + modifications to meet my student's needs = lesson planning isn't as prepared as far ahead as I'd like...] Thanks to several online resources and OneExtra Degree and her awesome Allsburg author study for inspiring several activities/lessons! :)


Having a self-contained group of students allows me some liberties with my lessons and not having to adhere to the scheduling and deadlines that the 5th grade classes necessarily follow. And thus, my plans to drown *cough* immerse my students in all things Allsburg while incorporating as many of the other content areas as possible. We will be doing CVA-inspired reading, writing, science, social studies, and math...My students had some familiarity with Van Allsburg and two of his books: Two Bad Ants and the Garden of Abdul Gasazi during Read Aloud with the school librarian.
I had my students visit Chris Van Allsburg's website and complete an Author Study Info Sheet for their notes; I supplemented a completed copy of key events and books published (including publication year). Using this, they were provided an Author Study Timeline to complete -- which, much to my dismay...they struggled with. After a mini-lesson on time lines, dates and chronological order = smallest to biggest numbers, I tweaked my original Info Sheet and created a Timeline Sort which I will have my kiddos attempt during Literacy Centers.


This weekend I plan on revisiting my CVA Unit plans and making some much-needed revisions and modifications. I hope to put together some more worksheets and Allsburg-themed center activities. What's worked for you?? Suggestions???

2 comments:

  1. I'm your newest follower! LOVE Chris Van Allsburg - I'm currently doing a unit on inferring using 6 of his books with my grade 5/6 class. Tomorrow we start the Mysteries of Harris Burdick (and I'm so excited to share my new book - Chronicles of Harris Burdick) with them. If you're interested, I have a CVA unit at my TPT store - take a peek at the preview - you may be able to get some ideas from it. http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Inferring-with-Chris-Van-Allsburg-A-Unit-Plan

    Jen
    Runde's Room

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip - I'll definitely check out your CVA unit on TPT. I've taken a detour to try and modify things for my kiddos and can use all the help I can get! :)

      Delete