Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Candy Hearts and Sugar Highs...

I have learned a lot and seen quite a bit since I started working solely at the elementary level for the first time this past year. I've seen a lot of C's - crazy, cute, cool, curious, captivated, challenging....and today, I saw a combination of all....all because of the holiday that boasts the most candy, chocolate, and conversation hearts: Valentine's Day!

I took a very laid back simplified approach towards the holiday with my students only incorporating a Valentine's read aloud activity (which did not happen), V Day bingo, V Day scrambled words and decorating their treat bags after they wrote one to two sentences on the back about their favorite thing about Valentine's Day. 

Today was a blur of math and language arts blocks...then shooing my kiddos off to art class, followed by their lunch/recess. My foursome split up into their math/language reinforcement blocks and we got in about 10 to 15 minutes worth of learning before it was time to usher them back to their homeroom class for THE party!

With a few instructions from the homeroom teacher and a smorgasbord of junk food, sweet treats and a few fruity friends...the 5th grade kiddos lost their ever-loving minds!! I didn't know what to do with myself beyond being a fly on the wall, telling kiddos to pick up their missed grapes (the hand mouth-eye coordination is still so bad) and throwing a dance move or two, I got to see my DHOH kiddos break out of their shells a little bit and interact with their homeroom peers. I even discovered one of my boys has mad break-dancing skills! Definitely worth standing among the chaos for!

How was your Valentine's madness?

No comments:

Post a Comment