Friday, February 3, 2012

School's Out!

So...I went and jinxed myself Wednesday. All my bad thoughts about so many staff being out this week and being frustrated with the lack of good subsitutes...it was my turn to be out - an opportunity to check my emails during my student's library time and I was soon scooting out to pick up a sick li'l mister. All in a panic from him having a few rough tumbles this past week and fearing the worst I was relieved to find out it's only a virus (thank goodness for an amazing pediatrican who REALLY is always on call!) which seemed to work its way out of li'l mister's system through the night. He woke up this morning with smiles, no fever and less gross side effects.

While I enjoyed having the afternoon off...I never like having to be out. It always seems like a step backwards. But - I did get a little bit of work in...specifically, I finished two of my Find It! shakers I've been brainstorming up...a Grammar Find It! and a Jumanji-Zathura Find It! I also managed to dig up some of my old scrapbooking supplies in the process which I think I'll start putting to good use towards school craftiness.
The Mister is off work on Fridays so he's on li'l mister duty and I over-snoozed and slept in until 7:00. Thank you Tresemme and your dry shampoo - I made it to school on time and returned to find that I didn't miss too much but was definitely soon feeling a million miles behind in my plans. :/

As I've probably already said a million times over...this week was a rough one minus my regular para educator during my Language Arts block. I do a lot of my independent/1:1 centers with my 4 kiddos during that time and wasn't able to get very much done in the way of informal assessment, much less touch a formal one. It definitely gave me food for thought in re-evaluating some of my literacy centers and developing strategies to enable my kiddos to be more independent. HELP!!!! This is the first year some of my students are out in their mainstream classroom and for the rest, they remain self-contained for the entire day in a small group. Factor in the fact that my room is 10' x 20' and with no windows...and it's no wonder we go a little crazy and/or break down.

Either way - something has to change...starting with my classroom and how it's set up and how my lessons/activities are structured. My first step - creating more clear-cut and useful classroom visuals/organizational tools: Daily Schedule, Homework folders, a revamped word wall...and soon a new Homework chart (one of my little projects this weekend).

Pictures to come of all the little goodies I've made and/or are working on soon!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment