Monday, February 6, 2012

Sunday! Sunday! Monday?!

Have you ever had one of those weekends where despite no matter how many different ways you outlined your To Do list you didn't come close to accomplishing more than a fraction of it? Well, I definitely had several of those...and it JUST happened. While we were able to get several important things done (or almost done), I still didn't feel like I did nearly enough on Friday/Saturday. Sunday was reserved for the most important game of games...the Superbowl and with no other choice,  the Mister and I chose to support the underdogs, the New York Giants over the Patriots. We instead chose to don our own teams' respective colors, the Mister in blue/gray with his Dallas Cowboys hat and myself in black/purple (Go Ravens!) and the li'l mister in his Ravens' Ray Rice jersey.

All football aside...I did get a little bit of prepwork done in outlining the upcoming unit in math that we're due to start this week. I have to say, I look forward to the day when I can trade in my long-term sub "hat" for a permanent teaching position. I think I spend more time tracking down grade level curriculum objectives and concepts and figuring out what's essential before I can even get my modified lesson plans started. This week we're in our transition from one unit to the next (modifying the curriculum = condensed and sometimes off schedule starts/finishes) in math and science.  And in the midst of that, we've got our 2nd practice session of the state tests this week for our 3rd, 4th and 5th graders. Makes for a bit of an easier morning (lesson-wise), but disrupts the order of things and definitely throws my kiddos off a bit.

Either way, I'm excited to start our new science unit on Astronomy -- espeically after having read Zathura last week with my kiddos, outer space isn't an entirely new...and one that seems to really excite a couple of them. Ironically enough, my li'l brother is studying astronomy now in his 8th grade science class...so it's fun to compare textbooks and infromation - especially that my kids' 5th grade textbook is a much more recent addition including the revelation that Pluto is no longer a planet...which we can now say, "You know...when I was your age...Pluto was still  a planet!"

Now, I leave you with some snapshots of this past weekend and what we've been doing in class so far....

our paper snowflakes and snowflake facts...created after reading Snowflake Bentley!

my completed Find It! shakers

laminated directions for my Find It! shakers
my Superbowl sugar cookies...iced in Ravens purple!! =D


our K-W-L chart for Astronomy...

our 2nd Venn Diagram comparing/contrasting Jumanji and Zathura




No comments:

Post a Comment